First name required
Last name required
Phone field require
Email field is incorrect
Address required
Zip code required
Arrive required
Departure required
Close

keresés cross

Programs

Museums and Exhibitions in Tihany

Doll MuseumVisszhang Str. 4. • Tel.: +36 87/448-431

Museum and Churchof the Benedictine Abbey I. András Sqr. 1. • Tel.: +36 87/538-200

Waxwork of Hungarian Kingsand Pirate Museum Kossuth Str. 35. • Tel.: +36 30/946-8220

Marzipan Museum Batthyány Str. 17. • Tel.: +36 30/216-8191

Outdoor Folk Museum Pisky Promenade 12. • Tel.: +36 87/714-960

Hungarian History(Audiovisual spectacular) Postaköz 1. • Tel.: +36 30/864-8373

Lavendel house, Tel.: +36 87 538 033, www.levendulahaz.eu

Tihany and its surroundings

HISTORIC PLACES


Ancient fortification

The oval entrenchment system of the hill called Óvár, the largest and relatively well-preserved earthwork of the Balaton region, was built around the late Bronze Age and early Iron Age. It was princely residence and provided shelter for the people in times of war.


Knollgraves

A several meter high knoll was built of limestone and carth over the graves of the princes of the carthwork in the southern hillside next to the present graveyard. A part of the knollgraves were dug up in the early seventies: potsherds, bronze jewellery and charred grains of wheat were found in cremation graves.


Hermits’ place

In the eastern slope of Óvár, Greek Orthodox hermits hollowed out their cells, a chapel and a dining room from the rock sin the 11th-14th century. This is the only hermits’ place which is relatively well-preserved in Central Europr. Its local name is Barátlakások (Friar habitations). Not far from here, you can fint the Ciprián spring, previously called Russian fountain, which is the only spring of Tihany.


Calcary

The most beautiful 20th century calvary of the country was built within a few years time, beginning in 1926. The stones with inscription and bronze relief symbolise the suffering on Christ and the Way of the Cross. The stone cross of Christ, in the background, there are three knoll built of limestone blocks and the bronze memorial of Hungarian King Charles IV. The structures of the Calvary were demolished in 1960.Rebuild started in the year 1998, then on October 15, 2000 the by then finished three Station pillars and the temporarily erected three wooden crosses were inaugurated.


Echo

Records from the early 19th century say that words shouted from the Echo hill return from the northern wall of the church building. The earliest Balaton guide-book, issued in 1848, says that guest in Füred take wxcursions to Tihany tol isten to the echo because the churs wall clearly returns voices up to 15 syllables. The Echo of Tihany, a topic covered by famous poets, has benn gradually fading since the sixties buti t can be still enjoyed especially in windless, quiet evenings.


The church bulding and its neighbourhood

King Andrew I. founded a monastery and a royal burial-place in Tihany in 1055. Monastery life ceased in the middle of the fifteen hundreds when the building was transformed into a fortress against the Turks, who never occupied it. The fortress, of which no detailed plans have remained, was demolished in the Kuruts times in the 17th century. The walking way between the Echo hill and the church is named after Castellan István Pisky. The Pannonhalma Arch-Abbacy got hold of the monastery and the property of the Tihany Abbey in 1716. The present buildings were completed in 1754. From Pisky Promenade, there is nice view of the most beautidul harbour of Balaton and the mole built between 1909 and 1911.


Pale hill

The name Nyársas-hegy, which is located next to the place where a fortress stood in the Middle Ages, goes back to the times when the soldiers of the fortress impaled the turks who abducted Hungarian women and screwed the peasantry.


Gallows hill

In 1714, King Sigismund granted jus gladii, power of life and death, to the Abbey to arrest, convict and execute malefactors. This was the spot where the gallows pole was erected. Akasztó-domb was also a place of special fishing method, practised only in Tihany. One of the fishermen called ’hill walker’ climbed up to the top of the hill, followed the movement of the pelecus (’the seen fish’) shoal and gave instructions to the fishermen waiting in the boat to lay the net.


Church ruins at Ujlak

The ruins of the church – the sanctuary wall still stands – are located at the southern part of the peninsula. They keep the memory of an ancient ferry village.


Church ruins at Apáti

Two of the three settlements of Tihany peninsula, Ujlak and Apáti were demolished in the Turkish times and only the church ruins remained. The church ruins at Apáti are located at the northern part of the peninsula. The rebuilt church dates back to the 12nd-13th century.


ART MEMORIES

Calvinist church, belfry

The Calvinist church, built in 1793, is a simple building with a square groundplan. The belfry, standing on four white columns and covered with shingle, is located west of the church building.


Former wine cellar and press-house of the Abbey

Tihany became significant wine-district at the time of the foundation of the monastery. The cellar and the press-house were built at the northern shore of Belső-tó in 1822 for processing and storing the vine grown in the property of the Abbey. The cellar has excellent wine also today.


Former granary of the Abbey

The granary built in the 19th century is the largest building of the village. Presently it serves as community centre.


Former house of the physician of the Abbey

The present post office building used to be the dwelling house of the physician of the Abbey. It was built in the 19th century.


Former farmstead of the Abbey

In the property of the Tihany Abbey, allodial farming has been taking place since the 18th century. The buildings of the former farmstead were built at the shore of Belső-tó next to the village in eighteen thirties. The sheepshed and the barn with eleven columns are still original.


Balaton Limnology Research Institute

The institute was founded for Balaton research and special biological research. The five pavilion swere was built in 1926-27.


Summer castle of Archduke Joseph Habsburg

The beautiful building, located at a 4 acre park, was built as a summer castle for Archduke Joseph Habsburg in 1924-25.

Tihanyi levendula

Kevesen gondolnák, hogy valójában a levendula nem őshonos növény a térségben. Ennek ellenére tájképi és kultúrtörténeti szempontból igen sikeresen „beilleszkedett” az elmúlt közel egy évszázad során. Története a 20. század húszas éveiig nyúlik vissza. 

A Tihanyi-félszigeten két helyen található nagy kiterjedésű levendulás. Az ún. Öreg Levendulás a Csúcs-hegy és az Apáti-hegy között húzódik, és a Lóczy Lajos turistaúton haladva érinthetjük. A területen Bittera Gyula, híres gyógynövényszakértő, a tihanyi apátságtól bérbe vett területen, 1924-ben Franciaországból hozott szaporítóanyaggal kezdte meg a levendulatermesztést. 

Mivel a terület szántóföldi művelésre nem alkalmas, és a szőlőgazdálkodás is visszaszorult, a gazdasági hasznosítás kitűnő módjának bizonyult a levendulatermesztés. Az első kísérlet olyannyira sikeres volt, hogy végül Bittera összesen mintegy száz hektárra növelte a termesztésbe vont terület nagyságát. Az itt termett levendula illóolaj-tartalma igen kimagasló volt, még az eredeti francia ültetvényekről származók minőségét is túlszárnyalta. A levendulasorok közé még a második világháború előtt keserű mandulát ültettek. 

Mivel a levendula kapásnövény és művelése nehezen gépesíthető, a hatvanas években az állami gazdaság keretein belül felhagytak a terület művelésével. A levendulás egy részére szőlőt telepítettek, a megmaradt mintegy húsz hektár pedig művelés hiányában kivadult, pontosabban teret engedett az őshonos flóra megjelenésének

A területet 1986 óta egy vállalkozó, Zátonyi Szilárd bérli a természetvédelmi hatóságtól, aki családjával 1995-ben az Öreg Levenduláson kívül, új területen is megkezdte a levendulatelepítést. A Külső-tóval szemben lévő, hét hektáros ültetvény nyár közepén kellemes látvánnyal fogadja a félszigetre érkezőket. Az egykori lucernás fokozatos betelepítésével ma már összesen közel harminc hektáron folyik levendulatermesztés a félszigeten. 

A levendulaaratás során begyűjtött virágból száraz csokrok készülnek. A virágot a Belső-tónál lévő művésztelep nádfedeles pajtájában szárítják mintegy két hétig, majd csokrok illetve illatzsákok formájában értékesítik. Július közepén kerül sor a második aratásra, ugyanis a virágmag csak addigra érik be, és akkor lesz alkalmas olajlepárlásra. Jelenleg a lepárlás Kerepestarcsán történik, de a nemzeti parkkal közösen beadott pályázat keretében remélik, hogy a közeljövőben sikerül Tihanyban létesíteni egy lepárló üzemet, ami egyrészt a helyi lakosság számára munkalehetőséget, ugyanakkor turisztikai látványosságot is jelentene. 
Tihanyban nemcsak ezen a két nagy kiterjedésű területen találkozhatunk ezzel a közkedvelt növénnyel, hanem a házak között járva a kertek és az utcák igen látványos díszeként is. Magyarországon egy-két nagyobb méretű levendulatermesztési kísérlettől eltekintve nem sokan foglalkoznak ezzel a növénnyel, holott a kereslet nagy. Száraz virágként molyűző hatása, olajként pedig gyulladáscsökkentő, nyugtató hatása miatt a népi gyógyászatban és a napjainkban egyre inkább népszerű természetgyógyászatban előszeretettel alkalmazzák, valamint fűszerként is kiváló.
 

Forrás: NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGYARORSZÁG www.geographic.hu

Levendula Fesztivál, Tihany

A június-július fordulóján virágzó, tízhektárnyi levendulaültetvény különleges látnivaló a Balaton partján. Virágzás idején szakember vezetésével és kalauzolásával szerveznek nyílt túrákat a Tihanyi-félszigeten található levendulamező megtekintésére.
A kirándulás arra is lehetőséget ad, hogy az érdeklődők a félsziget természeti értékeivel, növény- és állatvilágával is megismerkedjenek, továbbá sétát tegyenek a Belső-tó partján.

MAKE YOUR RESERVATION HERE
Best price guarantee
Immediate confirmation
Current offers
No reservation fee